Prescriptions Charges and Exemptions
Extensive exemption and remission arrangements protect those likely to have difficulty in paying charges (NHS prescription and dental charges, optical and hospital travel costs).
The NHS prescription charge is a flat-rate amount which successive Governments have thought it reasonable to charge for those who can afford to pay for their medicines. Prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) offer real savings for people who need extensive medication.
Current charges are:
- Prescription (per item): £8.80
- £16.10per pair of elastic hosiery
- 12-month prepayment certificate (PPC): £104.00 (this saves money if 15 or more items are needed in 12 months)
- 3-month PPC: £29.10 (this saves money if you need four or more items in three months)
- To ease the cost PPCs are available by 10 monthly direct debit instalments.
- Telephone advice and order line 0845 850 0030
- General Public - Buy or Renew a PPC On-line
There is further information about prescription exemptions and fees on the NHS website